Tuesday, April 13, 2010

My best fake birthday party yet

I had one of the most amazing days ever in the history of my life (once again, that superlative is coming into play).

My day started with my weekly therapy session. As is part of my usual routine, I went to the gym after for a workout. I was supposed to meet a friend for lunch. She had a baby in September, so I see her pretty infrequently these days. I ended up waiting for her for an hour, but no matter. It was great to see her and catch up with her.

Then I went to work.

After work, I went to meet up with my friends Lola and her man, and Kerry who I haven't seen in forever, for happy hour drinks. As I walked from the train to the bar, I started thinking about how my work life seems to be more like something that I fit in between my social engagements. We went to a bar that has an amazing happy hour special: A bottle of wine and two appetizers for $30. Not too shabby. It was a superfun time and we talked about Kerry's upcoming trip to Lola's hometown and about football.

After happy hour, we all dispersed to different locations. Off I went to the Knitting Factory to meet two other friends and to see the band of this guy who I met at a show and invited to my birthday party last month. I got there really late and missed his band. Ooops. However, my friends Marnie and Mack were waiting for us outside as they didn't want to pay the cover to come into the knitting factory. After some logistical negotiations, we decided we would meet at Spuyten Duyvil, which is right next door to the Knitting Factory. Jane and LR wanted to stay at the show, so I left and met the other folks, but after a little while, they joined us too. Also, we ran into one of LR's friends.

While we were there, I realized that
a) I was hungry and
b) I was right across the street from Fette Sau

So I went over there. Honestly, sometimes food makes me feel horny. The smell of the smoke and meat pretty much made me wet. They were closed with their regular menu, so I took a look at the after hours menu which consists of:
Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Sausages
Baked Beans

I only managed to convince one friend to come over there with me since EVERY OTHER PERSON in our posse was was vegan or vegetarian (there were seven of us)! I really enjoyed my pulled pork sandwich. Jane ended up getting two of the sausage sandwiches, so I got to taste hers as well. I love smoked meat. Perhaps I wasn't clear about the fact that it totally turns me on.

While I had been at happy hour, I was texting with Marnie in order to figure out whether or not we would be meeting up at some point during the evening. Since I was having a great time at happy hour and was all loosened up from the wine, I realized that I was in a drinking mood. Also, because I've been listening to/watching the video of Lady Gaga's Bad Romance rather obsessively, I was texting Marnie with quotes from the song. Also, I've been listening to Delroy Wilson almost daily for the past few months. He has a song called I'm in a Dancing Mood. Well, the ensuing text messages resulted in possibly one of the best text conversation of all times. (Actually, I will someday compile a list of my favorite texts and text conversations.) It goes like this:

Me:...I also just wanted you to know that I'm a free bitch, baby.

Marnie: When do you get off? Work, I mean. So I can have your vertical stick

Me: (logistics)...I'm in a drinking mood-when you feel the beat you got to move your feet, you got to clap your hands and take a shit. I want you in my room when your baby is sick. What are you up to, let's take shots.

While we were waiting for Jane and LR to come leave the Knitting Factory, Marnie started asking me about the text message that said, "move your feet, you got to clap your hands and take a shit". The reason this whole exchange is so funny, is that I had no idea that I had written that. When she was reading it to me, I thought she was making it up. When I realized what had happened--it was a typo; the "i" and "o" on my phone keypad are right next to each other and it was supposed to say "take a shot"- I started laughing so hard that I almost threw up. No joke. I almost puked.


So when I had met up with Jane and LR, Jane announced that we should go dancing--she apparently was actually "in a dancing mood". As for yours truly, well, I'm pretty much always in a dancing mood. We debated about the best place to go out dancing on a Tuesday night. We ended up deciding on Royal Oak.

We walked in, and there were literally 4 people in the bar who didn't work there, but there was a DJ and the back room was (obviously) empty. We started a dance party that included tours jetes, cartwheels, random swing dancing moves, and weird running and jumping while karate chopping combination moves. I declared that this was the best birthday party I've ever had. My birthday was six weeks ago, and I've had, like, four various birthday celebrations since then. More people had shown up at the bar and then it spread around that it was my birthday. I decided to go with it. Why not? The DJ then played whatever I wanted, and I even got a couple of shots out of it. The DJ gave me his phone number. I got home close to 3am.

All in a days work, my friends, all in a days work.

No comments:

Post a Comment