Sunday, March 28, 2010

New Statement of Purpose

Ok. I have managed to post two blog entries and accrue zero readers/followers. My original intention with the blog was to chronicle my dating and love adventures in New York City. I have had so many spectacularly bad romantic encounters that it almost doesn't seem fair that I should keep them to myself. I had previously mentioned that I'm straightforward, but I am also a little bit shy about putting all this stuff about me out there. I've been having this inner debate about how anonymous this should be, as I wanted to make this blog all about my sexcapades. To be honest, though that is a huge part of my life, I really want to write about my life in this fine city. I am basically a ball of social energy running from activity to activity.
Today, while doing a post brunch stroll, I realized that I live in superlative. I had said that it was hyperbole earlier, but that's not accurate. Superlative is totally spot on. I declare almost nightly that it's the best night of my life, and I mean it.

Friday night was one of those nights. I attended the book release party for a young lady by the name of Mimi Lavalley. She's a blond cutie. She had put together a fantastic night at Freddy's in Prospect Heights. As far as I'm concerned, Freddy's might be the best bar in all of New York City, and of course, it's slated to be demolished to make way for the egregiously unnecessary travesty known as Atlantic Yards. Freddy's is just the right amount of soul and sass. It's a dive, but represents the feeling of Brooklyn from way before I ever lived here. It's gritty, but welcoming, and has been a place to foster lots of local talent. It's basically the perfect neighborhood bar.

The local talent that Freddy's was supporting on this magical night, were stars of the Brooklyn country music scene, as well as some guests from Massachusetts, and some singer-songwriter/hasidic reggae allstars. The alchemy of the evening not to mention some kick-ass baked goods completed the fabulousness.

Mimi is selling her book and writing about her awesomeness here . There were many high points to the evening, but I was blown away by the last band who managed to create a ho-down in the middle of Freddy's back room. One person said to me, "this music combines my two favorite things--do-see-do-ing and beating the shit out of the floor". I might be paraphrasing there. They are a Brooklyn old time country band who go by the name of the Piledrivers. I have to say, after having experienced the dance party that they produced, those guys can pile drive me any day of the week

No comments:

Post a Comment